I have come across the following issue on Windows 7 Pro x64
File sharing broke itself very quickly.. I enabled Public Folder sharing, disabled need for password, copied a few files into it.
Next I tried to copy the files to 2 different Vista 32 machines & an XP machine
The first Vista machine managed to successfully copy the files, the 2nd would show the folders but no files and the XP machine just failed completely citing “You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Not enough server storage is available to process this command.”
After a bit of googling I ended up modifying the following registry key
Set it to: 3
This frustrated the shit out of me. My setup: Vista Business SP1, Firefox 3.0.1, Quicktime 7.5 (861).
No matter how hard I tried, besides disabling the Quicktime plugin in Vista, moving/deleting npqtplugin4.dll in the Firefox plugins folder or hex editing it, Firefox 3.0.1 would always play any mp3s I clicked in a full screen Quicktime plugin.
The about:plugins shows the following:
QuickTime Plug-in 7.5 (861)
- File name:
The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
How the hell do you change one of those values to say “enabled: no”?
Changing Mime Type associations in Firefox via Options -> Applications does nothing – Quicktime always gets there first
Changing Mime Settings in Quicktime Preferences launches Vista’s Set Program Associations which is also fruitless
After much digging around, I have worked out that the following will let you handle audio/mpeg (mp3) the way you want:
- Go to about:config
- Type ‘plugin’ in the filter box (minus quotes)
- Look for ‘plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types’
- If it already exists and contains a value, add ‘,audio/mpeg’ to the end of it, otherwise just change the value to ‘audio/mpeg’
- Fully close Firefox, wait a few seconds for it to clean up and die
- Launch Firefox again.. click an MP3 link.. voila! it does whatever you’ve specified in your Firefox Options -> Applications
I randomly suffered from this strange Vista affliction, however managed to cure it by uninstalling Adobe Version Cue CS3
Thanks to decheung.com for the heads up!
I recently purchased a nice Dell Dimension 9200 Quad Core machine with Raid-0 HDD, running Vista naturally.. I’ve not really had much experience with Vista yet but found that the machine would quite often burst into fits of hardcore disk thrashing for quite a while (i.e. more than 10mins).. this seemed quite strange considering how quick the machine is
Anyway, using the new Reliability and Performance Monitor I could see that a service was writing lots of data to the folder that System Restore uses (i.e. \System Volume Information). Disabling System Restore solved the drive thrashing, however as I am running Vista Business, it also disables the ‘Previous Versions’ feature (this may have been the actual culprit anyway)
I’ve now got a couple of machines that run Windows Vista and I noticed with the first machine that Vista’s event sounds were somewhat delayed from the event occuring, e.g. the sound you experience when UAC prompt pops up wouldn’t be in sync with the actual popup of the dialog box, but a second or so later.
Anyway, I googled it and the solution is to disable enhancements for the playback device in use. Screenshot below!
If you’ve got a Medion MD40734 laptop and are having trouble getting Windows XP SP2 to function (garbled/frozen screen on bootup, even safemode won’t work) then this is for you..
You can get Windows working if you boot with your XP CD and go to the recovery console.. then type:
Now windows will boot but your display will be extremely slugish
That should sort it out for you
[imported from Bloglines]
The last thing I did yesterday on my “gaming machine” was install the ATI Catalyst 5.8…
I come to play GTA:SA today and it doesn’t work.. wtf – spinning CD icon then nothing.
Numerous reboots later and still no luck.
- Disabled reforce
- Updated BIOS to latest version (1.30->1.A0), Neo2 Platinum MB
- Restore BIOS settings to overclocked state
Search on google… find some forum thread about GTA: SA not working after 5.8 driver update! Uninstall 5.8′s, install 5.7′s
GTA:SA crashes after 2mins now
Setting ATI Tool back to use default values seems to work alright – so now I can’t overclock my graphics card
The BIOS update seems to have fixed the stalling on “Detecting IDE drives” which I sometimes get.. strange
So I don’t know if I should restore my 1.3 version of the BIOS with the original settings or what!